Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tokujin Yoshioka














venus' natural crystal chair ready for installation


'rainbow church'

consisting of hundreds of crystal prisms, arranged in a
9-meter-high stained glass installation
which flood the museum space with spectrums of color.

tokujin took some time out from setting up to speak to designboom about the exhibition
obstacles and the installation of 'rainbow church':

'everything was difficult. starting with the selection of the venue... maybe about a year ago
the museum contacted me to ask whether I was interested in presenting the project with them.
I didn't confirm and looked for an alternative venue for 'rainbow church'.
just three months ago
I finalized the proposal.(...) the building has a high ceiling, but to build 'rainbow church',
I had to modify the walls to make the right angle in order to install the prisms. it is 9.2 m high
and 500 crystal prisms are used to create the effect I wanted. we spent a week to build it.
' - TY

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/10045/tokujin-yoshioka-spectrum.html


'honey-pop' chair, 2001

This summer I went to see an exhibition on Japanese artist, Tokujin Yoshioka.
It was in an exhibition called Museum beyong Museum in Chungdamdong, Korea.
white background with interesting way in using luminosity through prisms made me feel like
i was in my dream. the mood and the atmosphere felt very unrealistic and a bit surreal
the growing crystals on the chair was the most memorable piece for me.
The way he uses light is very subtle and different from other artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment