Friday, November 5, 2010

More Aussies: Shaun Gladwell

This week I thought I would share some more Australian work which is worth having a peek at.

Firstly, Shaun Gladwell, who was Australia's representative at the 2009 Venice Biennale. Working mostly with video, but also with painting and installation, Gladwell has most recently dealt with some of the myths of Australian-ness.

His videos are in many respects motion studies, and are usually installed in large dark exhibition spaces. These clips don't do the work justice, but you get some idea:


Shaun Gladwell - Interceptor Surf Sequence (excerpt), 2009


Shaun Gladwell - Apologies to Roadkill 1-6 (excerpt), 2009

I saw this last work in Brisbane a few months ago, and it moved me. Seriously. I can't even really talk about it. I wish you could all see the whole thing for real.

If you like, you can see some very un-revealing stills on his page at Anna Schwartz Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment